Skybell vs Ring; The New Era of Doorbell
When we talk about wireless video doorbells we talk about security on the whole, and when we talk about security we talk about a demanding product. From celebrities to normal people that are looking for the ideal accessory that allows them to have total control of their front door whether their home or away.
The video doorbells that have the highest ratings thanks to their security features are made by Ring formally known as Doorbot (when it famously appeared on Shark Tank and went on to be acquired by Amazon for 1 billion!), and Skybell. But which one is better? Here on this article we’re going to analyze Skybell vs Ring and see which one is superior.
Skybell vs Ring
When Jamie Siminoff went on ABC’s “Shark Tank” to try and pitch his company “Doorbot” in 2013, he presented his invention a WiFi-enabled doorbell that allows you to see video of and talk to people as they arrive at your front door without you being at home, this seemed as not a profitable deal at the time for the judges except for Kevin O’leary, who made an offer but did not make the cut for Siminoff. Meaning doorbot did not make a deal, which left him devastated.
Always in life bad times will lead to great times
“I remember after that ‘Shark Tank’ episode literally being in tears,” he tells CNBC Make It. “I needed the money, we were out of money at the time.”
He spent $10,000 into building props for the pitch, and the company’s staff of 8 had spent 1 month preparing for the show, After leaving the show without no investor, it seemed all efforts were made in vain. The critiques from investors like Mark Cuban and Lori Greiner about the product’s ability to sell were fresh objections mirroring others doubts about his idea.
Those people may wish they had paid more attention. The business, now rebranded as Ring and offering a suite of connective home security products, has seen immense growth since Siminoff appeared on “Shark Tank.”
It has now been a couple years since ‘Shark Tank,’ the business is now valued a fortune and was sold to amazon for $1.2-$1.8 billion, talk about blessing in disguise!
So now that we know the company background let’s get down to the details and check out their features.
1. Installation Process
What’s likable about the package of Ring is that it comes with everything you need to install the doorbell. The Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell can also be installed on any surface, including wood, stucco and cement. The package includes the following items:
- Ring Doorbell
- Micro USB charging cable
- Mounting bracket and level
- Screwdriver Bit
- Drill bit
- Wood screws
- Masonry screws and anchors
- Weather sealant
- Users Manual
2. Specifications Of Ring
The Ring Wireless Doorbell works with iOS® and Android™ mobile device. The minimum requirements are iOS 7.1+ and Android 4.0+. Wi-Fi internet connection (802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz).
You can connect the Ring to your existing doorbell wiring, or use the built-in battery.
3. How does it work?
The concept is really simple. Someone presses your doorbell, the signal travels through your Wi-Fi network and reaches your phone.
As soon as you see the notification on your smartphone and open the Ring application, you’ll be able see who’s standing next to your door, you can talk to him/her directly and have a two-way conversation.The best part is that the visitor can’t see you.
if you’re at work or far from home, the system still allows you to answer the door.
The video quality of Ring is quite good and captures in 720p HD.
4. Motion detection
The motion detection feature is really sensitive and perfectly does its job.
When someone approaches your door the sound of a chime will ring through your phone and you can launch the app and talk to him directly.
Or you can use Ring’s cloud recording, save the video and watch it later.
The camera, as we said, has a 720p HD video quality which is pretty good.
Ring has a 180-degree field of view, which is practically enough for any type of home.
And lets not forget Ring’s ideal night-vision, it gets a clear image of visitors that come in the night.
Skybell is Ring’s biggest competitors and is one of the most top-rated wireless doorbells. The skybell company has been trying to update their features with the new “Skybell HD”
By innovating features and visual aspects, Skybell offers a efficient doorbell that perfectly serves its owner and home.
1. How Does Skybell Work?
It works with 5 steps:
- Someone presses your Skybell doorbell
- The signal goes to your Wi-Fi router
- Then the signal goes to the Cell Tower
- The Cell Tower sends the signal to your mobile device
- Then the Skybell app (which you have to download) sends a notification with a text “your Skybell is calling”
2. Installation Process
- Remove your old doorbell.
- Choose the right mounting plate.
- Attach the plate to the mounting surface.
- connect the wires to the wires on the SkyBell.
- Make sure you tighten the screws and your good to go!
After you’ve attached Skybell you’ll have to download the Skybell app and register.
Skybell is a round, 2.8 inches in diameter and 0.8 inches thick doorbell. It comes in two color, Silvery Brushed Aluminum and Oil Rubbed Bronze.
Skybell works with the wires and can be powered with built-in batteries. Note, that skybell should be connected to a low-voltage transformer.
Compared to Ring, Skybell has a slightly dull resolution (640-by-480-pixel) and the field of view is 130-degree (Ring boasts with a 180-degree field of view).
The features of Skybell doorbell are:
- Video Camera
- Ring Button
- LED Indicator
- Motion Sensor
4. Motion Detection
The motion sensor of Skybell is really good but it lacks the ability to adjust the motion sensitivity and another drawback of Skybell is that you can’t record videos like Ring can. But don’t think everything’s bad news, it features a different quality which gives you an option to watch live from your phone, and allows you to take snaps of things happening outside.
And the winner is…
After detailing both Ring and skybell devices i’ve came to the following conclusions:
- Skybell has a big potential, it has some really good features but there’s still a lot of room for improvement when it comes to adjusting the motion sensitivity and recording videos.
- When it comes to the working abilities both Ring and Skybell are on par.
- Both of these doorbell are really good in terms of appearance. Ring comes in four colors and it nearly matches any type of home. The design of Ring is attractive and looks modern. The quality of the product is high and have rarely seen someone that has talked badly about this doorbell. Skybell comes in two colors, white and black, and it looks very safe. But if we talk about quality the winner would have to be Ring.
- Ring has a feature called “Cloud Recording” which enables you to record any type of activity happening outside your home. If you don’t have time or you’re in the middle of something important and can’t see who’s standing next to your door, you can simply record the video, store it in the cloud and later. As for Skybell, for now, there isn’t anything like “recording function” that enables you to record the outside activity. The only way to record is to take a snapshot from your phone or take video of the screen with another phone.
- Both of the doorbells have an “on-demand video” feature. If someone has been standing at your door for more than 10 seconds, the motion sensor will activate and a notification will popup and ask whether you want to start a video or an audio stream.
- Skybell boasts with an awesome feature. It allows several users to access Skybell application. For example, if you don’t live alone and you’d like for your family members to have access to Skybell, you can simply let them have it.
Summing up the comparison of Skybell and Ring, i would have to give the #1 spot to Ring, just cause it has more positive reviews and a better design overall making it the top-rated and the best-seller wireless doorbell. But if you’re still willing to purchase Skybell, don’t have second thoughts, as it is also a very efficient doorbell with good features.
We’ve seen how things could change drastically so let’s see what the future holds for Skybell, it definitely has the potential to steal the #1 spot from Ring.